How to Choose the Right Venue
I am honoured to have a guest blog post from George a wedding coordinator at Dodmoor House, a venue that recently won “Countryside Wedding Venue of the year” in The Wedding Industry Awards 2016. She will give you some great tips on how to choose the right venue.
Dodmoor House is a barn wedding venue, set in the heart of Northamptonshire, and we are lucky enough for our grade II listed barns to be the setting for many beautiful weddings all the year round.
We were so happy to win the ‘Best Countryside Venue’ category at the National Wedding Awards for a second time this year and three weeks later, we still can’t quite believe it. We are honoured that our couples would take the time to vote for us and write some really lovely feedback about the service they had at Dodmoor.
Tony invited us to write a guest blog post, so we thought we would we could give some top tips for venue hunting and here goes:
- Have your guest numbers ready and be prepared. Have a think about your guest list before the viewing, so the venue can give you a realistic idea of how your numbers would fit in.
- Also have a think about your preferences in terms of dates, and in that vein, the more flexible you can be with dates, the more of a good deal you are likely to be given price-wise.
- Use your imagination and be vocal about your ideas. If you are looking for a certain theme or style, do mention it to the venue, they may well have some decorations they could lend you or some ideas from weddings they have seen.
- Don’t be shoehorned into using certain suppliers or eating a certain menu. On your wedding day you should have the freedom to have what you want, and make it as personal as possible. At Dodmoor we have no restrictions in terms of which suppliers our couples choose, including caterers. This means that if you wanted the Turkish restaurant from down the road to cater your wedding, why not?! Not all venues offer this option so be careful.
- Check corkage fees. At Dodmoor you can drink your own drinks free of charge during the drinks reception, meal and speeches, but again this does not happen everywhere. Make sure you won’t be paying twice for that lovely champagne from France…
- Also check the bar prices. There is nothing worse than intricately planning every detail of your wedding day to make sure everything is perfect, and then your guests grumbling afterwards that they spent £10 on a glass of wine at the venue’s bar.
- Book your registrar as soon as possible if you are looking at having a civil ceremony at your venue. Make sure the time you book for your ceremony gives you enough time to get ready but also allows enough time for the day to flow well without rushing the meal before your evening guests arrive.
- Does the venue have items you can borrow for free? Here at Dodmoor, we lend many items out to our couples free of charge, including lots and lots of candles, table number stands, a cake knife, a selection of cake stands, a card box and a big copper trough to keep your beers in. This sort of thing can really save your budget, just make sure the venue won’t charge you extra for using it.
We hope this helps, and if you would be interested in coming over to Dodmoor for a viewing, we would love to welcome you. Please visit our website at www.dodmoorhouse.co.uk or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Happy venue hunting!